Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Teddy Bears Go Blogging reflection

This article describes a more modern, and technologically enhanced, version of pen pals. I love the real world application students receive from expressing themselves this way. Students are provided this opportunity and can really feel successful having their work become more than just pen to paper for the teacher to grade.

Until this class I had never been a "blogger" before, the closest I felt I had ever been was through basic status updates on Facebook. I had never really seen any point for me to have a blog or online journal. I, honestly, was baffled by those who wanted to put some of their personal stories and expressions into the internet form. However, this use of blogging with a class is intriguing. I had heard of classrooms now using Skype to modernize the time-old tradition of pen pals, but never blogging. I like the way in which the author describes how she still is able to control the content of the posts while maintaining creative freedom for the class members.

I am interested to see the ways in which this kind of project could be applied to the curriculum and school district I currently work in. I also wonder the level of permission a teacher needs to obtain to utilize such an internet based project.

No comments:

Post a Comment